Thursday, October 4, 2012

When a Christian curses

People who know me, have had any dealings with me, or even just know about me, know that I am Christian. Briefly, I had a salvation experience when I was 9 years old, and though I have had a rough road at times in my walk with the Lord, I have in the past 4 years, returned to where I should be. I have given my life to the Lord's work and I try every day to follow the path He has for me. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's difficult. Sometimes it's easy to know what He wants me to do, and sometimes it's hard to see. Sometimes life is easy for me, and sometimes it's not. When I say I am a Christian, I am not saying I am perfect. I am not saying I am better than anyone else. I am not saying I am not a sinner. I am not saying I don't make mistakes. In fact, if you talk to me about it, I'm very quick to admit I am hopelessly flawed, I make mistakes, I am far from perfect ... and I know all of this. I accept it. I admit it. I am only human. Being a Christian doesn't mean I am perfect. It means I am forgiven. Being a Christian doesn't mean I am better. It means I am bought with Christ's blood. It doesn't mean I am not a sinner. I am a sinner, but I have been sanctified. It doesn't mean I don't make mistakes. It means when I make them, I try to make up for them and learn from them. I've said all that for a reason. I want people to be aware of a couple of things. One: I am only human. Two: I am very aware of that fact. Being a Christian means that I have been called by God, bought and cleansed by Christ's blood, and I am now assured of a place in Heaven when I leave this earth. Does it mean I am instantly a saint on earth and never sin? No. But being a Christian means you desire to strive every day to not sin. And when you do, you ask for forgiveness with a contrite heart. Does it mean I am perfect and don't do things like get angry or lose my cool and say a curse word now and then? No. But it happens a LOT less now than it used to and it takes more to provoke me to anger than it ever did before, partially because I know the peace of God's salvation and partially because I turn to God every day and ask Him to use me to reflect His love and grace in the world. Does it mean I don't ever make off-color jokes? No. I do from time to time, but I do less often than I used to. The jokes I make aren't as off color as they used to be, and I have a lot less tolerance for that kind of thing than ever before. I realize that people think I am somehow different or less sinful than they are. I have actually had people, when I have told them about my past or things I have done, say "Oh I am just so glad to hear you've made mistakes" or "Wow. I didn't know you would ever do that kind of thing" or something similar. It's NOT because I am better or stronger or more disciplined. It is NOT because I am a saint or something like that. My behavior most of the time is because I pray every day for God to use me, guide me, and curb me when I am on the verge of getting out of hand. I have to turn to God on a day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute basis and ask for Him to intervene. I try to live my life to show the world a picture of the desire that is in my heart: to live for God. Salvation has a way of changing you that way. It doesn't instantly mean you're going to act better or that your life will be better. But it does change the desire of your heart. You feel a joy that you want to share with the world. You feel a peace that helps you realize no matter how hard things are, God is in control. You feel a passion to follow God's commands, not because you HAVE to, but because it is so little in exchange for what He has done for you. So if you see me lose my cool, say a curse word, make an off color joke or something similar, I apologize if it offends you. But please know that if I do one of these things or something similar, it is because I am just like you and everyone else in the world. The only difference may be that I am saved...and I desire to live my life in a way that makes the Lord happy. I don't always succeed, but I try.

No comments:

Post a Comment